I don't know about you, but there is nothing more that I want on a hot summer day than to dig into a cold and flavorful pasta salad.
If you've never heard of a green goddess dressing before, it is basically a flavorful sauce made from a blend of fresh herbs and spices.
This version is 100% vegan that is made with avocado and other fresh herbs.
I love adding avocado because it adds a natural creaminess and also additional nutrients.
It works great as a dip, a salad dressing, or as a sauce for your pasta salad.
Why you'll love this recipe:
Now it's not really a pasta salad without a flavorful sauce...
The star of the show, avocados which creates the creamy and rich texture to the dressing.
A medley of fresh herbs, such as basil, sage, and fennel fronds which gives this pasta salad all of that flavor!
I love adding spinach because it not only enhances the green color of the dressing but also adds some extra nutrients.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Use apple cider vinegar or lemon juice to add a zesty brightness to the dressing which balances the richness of the avocado.
Garlic brings a subtle kick to the dressing, complementing the other flavors perfectly.
I love cavatappi because of the fun texture and shape. It also works great in this instant pot pasta but feel free to choose your favorite pasta variety, such as fusilli or bowtie, to create the base of the salad.
I used artichoke hearts and jarred roasted bell peppers but feel free to add your favorite vegetables, such as cherry tomatoes, green peas, or roasted zucchini.
I won't keep you waiting so here is the recipe...
Vegan Green Goddess Pasta Salad (with Avocado)
- ½ ripe avocado
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup mixed fresh herbs such as basil, sage, parsley, and chives
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried garlic
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup packed spinach leaves
- 8 oz cooked pasta
- 1 cup vegetables of choice (zucchini, roasted bell pepper, artichoke hearts, snap peas)
- In a blender or food processor, add the ripe avocado (peeled and pitted) along with the mixed fresh herbs, which could include basil, parsley, sage, chives.
- Add water, apple cider vinegar, salt, and dried garlic
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth. Adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
Pasta Cooking Instructions:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta of your choice (such as medium shells, gemelli, farfalle, penne, orecchiette, rigatoni, or fusilli).
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions until it reaches the desired level of tenderness.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it in a colander and rinse it under cold water. This will help stop the cooking process and prevent the pasta from becoming too soft.
- Combine cooked pasta, vegetables of choice (I used artichoke hearts and roasted bell peppers) along with sauce and mix well until combined.
Make It Yours
If you want to enhance the creaminess and umami flavors of the dish, add some Parmesan cheese on top.
Experiment with various herbs and spices such as mint, chives, onion powder, or even red pepper flakes for additional heat.
Add texture with slivered almonds, crushed pistachios, or toasted pinenuts.
Add grilled chicken slices or shrimp to the salad for additional protein.
Add chopped sundried tomatoes for an additional boost of umami.
Top with lemon zest for additional freshness.
This pasta salad recipe is the perfect weeknight summer lunch or dinner that is refreshing and flavorful.
This dressing is also perfect if you have someone in the family who doesn't like vegetables because it contains hidden veggies.
If you want more easy and healthy recipes, you'll love these.