If you're craving a dessert that tastes like a snickers bar, this recipe for vegan chocolate caramel bars is a gluten-free and refined-sugar free alternative.
I love snickers bars. As a kid, I would absolutely crush the king-sized snickers bars.
While there is nothing wrong with eating a snickers bar, I am a huge fan of eating foods and snacks that are nutrient-dense on this blog.
That's why I created this recipe for healthier snickers bars, as an homage to my favorite childhood snack.
The combination of a nutty shortbread base made from coconut and almond flour, luscious date caramel, creamy peanut butter filling, and a chocolate topping creates a delightful treat that will satisfy all of your snickers cravings.
Why Make These Vegan Chocolate Caramel Bars?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Can I use a different type of flour for the shortbread base?
Yes, you can use whole wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend as a substitute. Keep in mind that the texture and flavor may vary slightly.
Q2: Can I replace peanut butter with another nut butter?
Certainly! Feel free to use your preferred nut butter, such as almond butter, cashew butter, or even sunflower seed butter for a nut-free alternative.
Q3: Can I freeze these?
Yes, you can freeze the vegan caramel bars for up to two months. Ensure you store it in an airtight container or freezer-safe bag to maintain freshness.
Q4: Can I omit the chocolate coating?
Yes, you can omit the chocolate coating if desired. The bars will still be delicious with the nutty base and date caramel layer.
Vegan Chocolate Caramel Bars Recipe (Gluten-Free, Refined-Sugar Free)
- 1.5 cup pitted dates soaked in boiling water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup salted peanut butter
- ½ cup of 72% dark chocolate melted
- ¼ teaspoon flakey sea salt
- Start by preparing the date caramel. In a bowl, place the pitted dates and cover them with boiling water. Allow them to soak for about 10 minutes to soften. Once softened, drain the dates.
- Transfer the soaked dates to a food processor or blender. Add the vanilla extract and salt. Blend until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare an 8x8-inch baking dish by lining it with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, water, and vanilla extract for the shortbread base. Mix well until the dough comes together and forms a crumbly texture.
- Press the shortbread dough evenly into the prepared baking dish. Use your hands or the back of a spoon to compact it.
- Bake the shortbread base in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Once baked, remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Spread the prepared date caramel evenly over the cooled shortbread base.
- Add peanut butter layer on top of date caramel.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring well between each interval until smooth and fully melted.
- Pour the melted dark chocolate over the date caramel layer, spreading it evenly with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Optional: sprinkle with flakey sea salt.
- Place the baking dish in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until the chocolate is completely set.
- Cut the bars squares or rectangles. Serve and enjoy!
By replacing refined sugar with naturally sweetened dates and incorporating wholesome ingredients, these vegan caramel chocolate bars satisfy all of those cravings for candy bars.
If you love easy and healthier desserts, be sure to check out the following recipes.
- 3 Ingredient Protein Fluff RECIPE
- The Easiest Cottage Cheese Chocolate Pudding RECIPE
- Protein Microwave Mug Cake Recipe (NO Protein Powder or Baking Powder)
- EASY Hidden Veggie Brownies RECIPE
- Healthy Snickers Bar Inspired Recipe (Date-Sweetened, Vegan)
- Easy Homemade Larabars RECIPE (15 flavors)
- Crispy Oatmeal Cookies with Oil RECIPE (Vegan, No Butter)
- Healthy Heavenly Hunks Oatmeal Dark Chocolate RECIPE
- No-Bake Four Ingredient Protein Bars Healthy Recipe
- Healthy Pear Crisp Recipe (Gluten-Free)