Looking for a quick and delicious twist on traditional lasagna?
This recipe for gluten-free instant pot lasagna soup combines the essence of lasagna in a hearty bowl of soup.
With a combination of diced red onion, sliced carrots, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, lasagna sheets, spinach, shredded mozzarella, and a blend of flavorful spices, this Instant Pot Lasagna Soup had easily become a new favorite.
Why This Recipe Works:
By utilizing the Instant Pot's pressure cooking feature, you can achieve the flavors and textures of traditional lasagna in a fraction of the time.
The pressure cooking process tenderizes the ingredients and infuses the soup with rich flavors, making it a perfect choice for busy individuals or those seeking a quick and satisfying meal.
Perfectly Cooked Pasta
One of the challenges of making traditional lasagna is getting the pasta sheets just right—cooked al dente and evenly throughout.
With my Instant Pot Lasagna Soup, this is no longer an issue.
The broken lasagna sheets cook under pressure in the soup, absorbing the delicious flavors while becoming tender and perfectly cooked.
You'll enjoy the comforting texture of the pasta without any concerns about undercooked or overcooked noodles.
Healthful and Nutritious
The soup incorporates vegetables like carrots and spinach, which provide essential vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber.
The use of brown rice lasagna sheets adds a wholesome element to the dish, contributing fiber and complex carbohydrates.
Versatile and Customizable
One of the best parts of this recipe is its versatility.
Feel free to add extra vegetables such as bell peppers, mushrooms, or zucchini to boost the nutritional value and add additional flavors and textures.
You can also add cooked proteins such as ground turkey, beef, chicken, or tofu.
If you're a fan of spiciness, you can easily add a touch of heat with red pepper flakes or hot sauce.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Lasagna Soup:
- You can substitute fresh spinach with frozen spinach, but make sure to thaw and drain it before adding it to the soup.
- For an extra creamy touch, consider adding a dollop of ricotta cheese on top of each serving.
- If you don't have tomato sauce on hand, you can substitute it with marinara sauce or crushed tomatoes. The soup may have a slightly different flavor, but it will still be delicious.
Allow the soup to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container.
The soup will last in the fridge for about 3-4 days or up to 6 months in the freezer for the best flavor and freshness.
When reheating the soup, you may need to add a little water or chicken broth to thin it out, as the noodles will absorb most of the moisture from the soup during storage.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
Can I use fresh lasagna sheets instead of dried ones?
I have not tried cooking fresh lasagna sheets in the Instant Pot.
You can use fresh lasagna sheets if you prefer but you will need to decrease the cooking time. Given how fragile fresh lasagna is, it will likely cook with just lid on and power off.
Can I use vegetable/chicken broth instead of water?
If you want more flavor, you can substitute water with vegetable or chicken broth.
The vegetable broth will add an extra layer of savory taste to the soup. You can either use store-bought vegetable broth or make your own at home
Can I add dairy-free or vegan cheese alternatives?
Absolutely! If you prefer a dairy-free or vegan version, use dairy-free or vegan cheese alternatives available in stores. You can use shredded vegan mozzarella or any other plant-based cheese alternative that melts well.
Instant Pot Gluten-Free Lasagna Soup
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 large carrot sliced into rings
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 sheets of dried lasagna
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
Instant Pot Instructions
- Add all the ingredients to the Instant Pot in the following order: diced red onion, sliced carrot, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, minced garlic, broken lasagna noodles, water, chopped spinach, shredded mozzarella, salt, black pepper, and cumin.
- Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and set the valve to the sealing position.
- Select the manual pressure cooking mode and set the time for 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Then, carefully perform a quick pressure release to release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot and give the soup a stir.
- Serve the gluten-free lasagna soup hot in bowls with optional mozzarella on top.
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion and carrot for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, broken lasagna noodles, water, spinach, salt, pepper and cumin. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in the shredded mozzarella until melted.
- Adjust seasonings if needed and serve the lasagna soup hot. Garnish with more mozzarella if desired.
With its combination of diced red onion, sliced carrots, chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, lasagna sheets, spinach, and melted mozzarella cheese, this soup brings all the flavors of lasagna in a comforting bowl.
The Instant Pot makes the cooking process quick and easy, allowing you to enjoy a delicious meal in no time.
If you like quick and healthy dinners, check out these other easy dinner recipes on my website.