Hearty, savory, and creamy, this rosemary and garlic white beans recipe is an easy one-pot comforting side dish that is sure to impress anyone at the dining table.
Beans of all varieties are incredibly nutritious.
As a registered dietitian, I am a firm believer that we should be incorporating them in our diets. Not only is this dish delicious, but it also offers numerous health benefits.
This recipe is creamy, aromatic, and flavorful.
What makes this Rosemary and Garlic White Beans recipe so good?
This recipe is super simple and uses pantry staples including garlic, chicken broth, and fresh rosemary.
In under 15 minutes, this delicious and nourishing white bean dish is made in one-pot, which makes clean up easy and hassle-free.
Benefits of Rosemary and Garlic Cannellini Beans
Before we dive into the recipe, let's take a moment to appreciate the nutritional benefits of the key ingredients: cannellini beans, rosemary, and garlic.
Health Benefits of White Beans
White beans (white kidney beans, cannellini beans) are an excellent source of plant-based protein, dietary fiber, and essential minerals.
These beans are low in fat and have been linked to lower cholesterol levels, making them a healthy addition to your diet.
Health Benefits of Rosemary
Rosemary is a rich source of antioxidants, which help protect the body against damage from free radicals. Rosemary has been associated with improved digestion, enhanced memory, and a strengthened immune system. Additionally, it has anti-inflammatory properties and may aid in reducing inflammation in the body.
Health Benefits of Garlic
Garlic contains a compound called allicin, which has antimicrobial and immune-boosting effects.
- As a side dish: Serve the beans alongside roasted chicken or grilled fish for a hearty meal.
- On toast: Spread the cannellini beans on a slice of crusty bread and top with fresh herbs and tomatoes.
- In salads: Try my white bean and kale salad for a delicious lunch option.
- As a dip: Blend the beans with a little olive oil and lemon juice for a creamy and nutritious dip. Serve with fresh vegetables or pita chips.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Beans that are most similar and can substitute cannellini beans in terms of taste and texture are great northern beans, butter beans, navy beans, or kidney beans.
The great northern beans is the closest to cannellini in terms of taste, flavor, and appearance.
Yes, you can cook dried cannellini beans to use for this recipe. The quickest way to cook dried beans is in the instant pot because you don’t have to soak them overnight first. Add the rinsed dried cannellini beans to the instant pot with a 1:3 bean:water ratio and cook for 35 minutes on high.
Cannellini beans are considered to be in the carbohydrate food group. However, beans including cannellini beans do have an adequate amount of protein. It is important to note that this protein is usually “incomplete” meaning that it does not contain all of the essential amino acids.
Any leftovers can be placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Canned beans mostly have the same health benefits of dried beans. In this one study, canned beans had less fiber than it's dried counterpart. However, there were no decreases in potassium, calcium, phosphorus, copper, or zinc contents in canned beans compared to paired household-cooked beans.
Easy Garlic Rosemary White Bean Recipe
- 1 15.5 oz can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 sprig fresh Rosemary
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium shallot chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add and oil shallots to medium sized pot. Sauté until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and sauté until the garlic turns slightly browned.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients. Cover with lid. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium-low heat once it boils.
- Cook for 10 minutes with the lid on. Cook for 5 minutes with the lid off until the majority of the broth has cooked off.
Why make this recipe?
If you love beans or are looking to incorporate them into your diet, this rosemary and garlic white beans recipe is the perfect recipe for you.
It’s flavorful and easy to make which makes it perfect for busy weeknights. This recipe would be also be great for meal prep.