If you've never had tomatoes on toast before for breakfast, you'll love this simple and delicious combination.
There is nothing like biting into a fresh, juicy, summer tomato.
Sweet, tangy, and juicy, a good tomato almost acts as it's own jam and is so delicious with toasted sourdough and some fresh cracked black pepper.
Why this is the perfect breakfast
Heirlooms taste incredibly fresh and juicy. They come in all sorts of vibrant colors and quirky shapes, which means they have a wide range of flavors, from sweet and tangy to rich and savory.
Fresh mozzarella, with its delicate, milky flavor and soft, creamy texture, complements the heirloom tomatoes perfectly. You can also use vegan mozzarella, avocado, or simply omit for a plant-based version.
Clove of garlic
For a subtle garlic flavor, rub a peeled raw garlic clove over the warm toasted bread for a subtle flavor without being overpowering.
Freshly cracked black pepper brings depth and warmth to tomato dishes. It's like peanut butter and jelly, the two complement each other perfectly.
The foundation of this toast is a slice of sourdough bread, toasted to perfection. Sourdough provides the ideal canvas for supporting the toppings while maintaining a satisfying crunch.
Add basil, parsley, or chives for freshness that beautifully complements the sweet, juicy tomatoes and creamy mozzarella.
The finishing for this toast is a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Its depth of flavor infuses the toast with a sweet, complex acidity that enhances the natural sweetness of the tomatoes.
This recipe is a blank canvas and goes well with so many other toppings and additions.
To make this breakfast vegan, substitute the cheese with creamy avocado slices to add richness and a buttery texture that pairs beautifully with fresh tomatoes.
Fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, cilantro, dill, or chives add a burst of freshness and color.
Add a protein boost with ingredients like poached or fried eggs, rosemary and garlic cannellini beans, smoked salmon, bacon, or prosciutto.
Spices and Seasonings:
Sprinkle with spices like red pepper flakes, paprika, or everything bagel seasoning for extra flavor.
If you like it spicy, a few drops of hot sauce or chili oil sauce can liven up your dish.
Hummus or Pesto:
Spread a layer of hummus, pesto, or even this green goddess dressing on your toast before adding the tomatoes for a layer of creaminess.
Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt:
A dollop of sour cream, cottage cheese, or Greek yogurt adds creaminess and a touch of tang.
Tips and Tricks:
How to get the best flavor and results.
The summers are my favorite time to eat this breakfast because of the fresh, ripe, and fragrant tomatoes.
You know tomatoes are ready to consume when squeezed and have vibrant, even coloring. If using cherry tomatoes, pick the plumpest ones.
Don't forget to season! A pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper can make all the difference in highlighting the tomato's natural sweetness.
Try spices like smoked paprika, cumin, or sumac to add depth and character to your dish. Experiment and find the combination that suits your taste buds.
Tomatoes on Toast Breakfast Recipe
- 1 slice of sourdough or whole grain bread
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1-2 heirloom tomatoes thinly sliced
- 2 ounces of fresh mozzarella cheese thinly sliced
- A pinch of salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Fresh herbs such as basil, parsley, or chives, for garnish
- Prepare the Sourdough Toast:
- Toast the sourdough/whole grain bread until it's golden brown and crispy on the outside. You can do this using a toaster, oven, or a hot grill pan.
- Infuse with Garlic Aroma:
- While the toasted bread is still warm, take the peeled garlic clove and rub it gently over one side of the toast. This infuses the bread with a subtle, delightful garlic aroma.
- Layer with Heirloom Tomatoes:
- Place the garlic-rubbed toast slice on a serving plate or board. Layer the thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes evenly over the toast, covering the entire surface.
- Add Fresh Mozzarella:
- Lay the fresh mozzarella slices on top of the heirloom tomatoes, creating a beautiful mosaic of colors and textures.
- Season with Salt and Black Pepper:
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt evenly over the mozzarella and tomatoes, enhancing their flavors. Then, add freshly cracked black pepper to taste for a touch of warmth and depth.
- Drizzle with Balsamic Vinegar:
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar evenly over the toast. The rich, syrupy vinegar will enhance the natural sweetness of the heirloom tomatoes.
- Garnish with Fresh Herbs:
- Sprinkle the fresh herbs of your choice (such as basil leaves, parsley, or chopped chives) generously over the top of the mozzarella and tomatoes.
Whether it's for a quick and easy breakfast or a summer snack, tomatoes make a great topping for any piece of bread or bagel.
As with every recipe on this blog, I emphasize simple nutritious recipes.
If you want to eat more nutritiously without spending forever in the kitchen, check out these blog posts.